Next week the we’ll all start to see bright yellow school buses on village streets.
School begins on Thursday, September 7th.
In case you’d like a reminder, the Governors Traffic Safety Committee says…
- It is illegal - and very dangerous - to pass a stopped school bus when the large red lights located on top of the bus are flashing. Flashing lights mean the bus is picking up or discharging students.
- You must stop whether you are approaching the school bus from the front or overtaking it from the rear.
- You must always stop for flashing red lights, even on divided and multilane highways and on school grounds.
- The first-time fine for illegally passing a school bus is a $250 fine, 5 points on your license, and/or possibly 30 days in jail.
- Worse yet, the memory of hitting or killing a child may be one you carry for the rest of your life!